Bangladesh is one of the most densely populated countries in the world, having a population density of 1050 per km2. Bangladesh still ranks among the top ten countries in the world with the highest TB burden. Pneumonia and other infections are major causes of death among young children. Most of the people of Bangladesh don’t have sufficient knowledge about the prevention of that deadly disease. Improving health care-seeking behavior such as education, awareness-raising, and skills building in recognizing communicable and non-communicable diseases is very important.
Health education is one strategy for implementing health promotion and disease prevention programs. Health education provides learning experiences on health topics. Health education strategies are tailored for their target population. Health education presents information to target populations on particular health topics, including the health benefits/threats they face, and provides tools to build capacity and support behavior change in an appropriate setting.
Examples of health education activities include:
This program educates the people how to maintain a healthy life keeping diseases away. Under the program, a topic on healthcare and disease prevention is discussed in the group meetings each month. That resulted in enhanced health awareness among the rural area of the country.
Aims: To mitigate the menace of communicable and non-communicable diseases by early intervention and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
- To reduce the frequency of diseases like diarrhea, dysentery, pneumonia, jaundice (hepatitis), skin diseases, malnutrition, maternal and infant mortality, etc. through providing healthcare service and creating awareness.
- Develop knowledge, skills, and capacities to address Health Promotion and Health Education problems.
- Identify the common health problems of all age groups and mobilize communities with special emphasis on the vulnerable groups in planning, implementing and evaluating community-based health program.
- Integrate knowledge from the natural, behavioral and social sciences and apply it to promote healthy living.
- Develop competencies for Health Promotion and Health Education programs and the role of advocacy in relation to health promotion and education.
- Acquire knowledge and develop skill in communication and method – media.
- Learn guidelines for use of communication tools and method in a community setting and also for mass people.
- Design health education and health promotion action programs for in all health promotional Settings.
- Develop skill and capacity building of health promotion program implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Learn the different approaches of informatics for health education and promotion.
- Impart teaching and training for developing research and learning skills necessary in the areas of health promotion and health education.
- Apply advanced knowledge and skill to understand decision making, planning connected with professional public health practice.
SCMPCR Health Education Programme